As a full-time #OpenSourcerer — October is one of my favorite months. And it’s October already. Today’s #OneDevMinute...
Outdated: About MeAhmad Awais
- WordPress: Core contributor to WordPress and several other plugins like WooCommerce, EDD, etc. Over 10 years of design and development experience. Built frameworks, Gutenberg Boilerplate, WPSass, plugin boilerplates, an advanced starter theme called Neat, open sourced my advanced Gulp workflow, built WPGulp and WPGulpTheme boilerplates, etc. Built 25+ complex responsive and CMS based websites with complete strategy, wireframing, design, and marketing.
- Blogging: I am blogging for more than 14 years now, being an e-junkie was always a passion, which made me work to an extent of creating a massive network of 30+ blogs. After which I started working over SEO & SMM. Nominated in Best 100 Bloggers All over Pakistan. Ranked #1 in Top 10 Younger Pakistani Bloggers’ List at IKB.
- Design: 7 years of design experience. I have played around in design niche with 8-11 different design tools. Adobe CC Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects, Dreamweaver (left using it).
- Public Speaking: I was one of the speakers at TEDx, Topic: Need of an Alternate Career Path. A few other events and seminars where I spoke include TechnoFest, Brainiac, FoundersConfo, etc.
- Startups: I am running two startups as my side projects FinkTanks & WP-Pakistan (Due mid-2015). Won the first ideas battle at Plan9 Sep 16. 2012.
- Web design/Dev Agency: I started a Web Design/Development Agency in 2012, where I worked as a consultant in the fields of UI/UX/SMM/SEO/BRAND Marketing, with global software agencies.
- Featured and Published at Envato Tuts+, Torque Mag by WPEngine, SitePoint, SmashingMagazine, CreativeMarket, HongKiat, SpeckyBoy, wpMail, Post Status, WPBeginner, WPLift, TemplateMonster, TheLayout by FlyWheel, etc.
Last updated in 2013.
- Past Jobs: Project Manager/Lead Sr. Software Engineer at Off-Road Studios. Consultant with multinational firms including Pepsi, Coke, Standard Chartered, Orient, BBDO, Chevron, GSK, GE, etc.
- Marketing Projects: Crafted and executed the marketing campaign for WAAR the movie which later made to the Top rated movie at IMDb in 2013 and most rated Pakistani movie ever.
- Featured Marketing Project: I also crafted and executed a mega marketing campaign for WAAR the movie. With more than 20,000 ratings that averaged a 9.4 rating, WAAR ranked as #1 in Highest Rated Feature Films Released In 2013. It kept ranking for almost 2 years, that’s one year after I had left the position. It’s still the most voted movie in the history of Lollywood* and still, has about 20k more votes as compared to the one at the second place.
- Web Application Architectures MOOP — University of New Mexico.
- Essentials of Entrepreneurship MOOP — University of California, Irvine, United States.
- Executives MBA –
presentDropout (COL Uni of Burnaby – Canada).
- Electrical Engineering with major subjects in IT/CS (OOP, OS, Algo, C, C++, PHP) and in Power (UET LHR – PK).
Well, I am an entrepreneur who left an orthodox Electrical Engineering career — after graduation — to become a Full Stack Web developer & an accidental writer.
Design Community Distinctions#
- SmashingMagazine: Nothing’s Like A Mango In Summer (My wallpaper design) got published at SmashingMagazine.
- HongKiat: In 2012 one of my designs i.e. Freakify.com/404 got featured in “The Basics Of Emotional Design”.
- The Chris Coyer hearted my pen and added it to his Terrific Tables collection.
- ParticlesJs based Hero Unit got published at several design blogs.
- Speckyboy Design Magazine: Got Front-end Login in WordPress featured in the Weekly news for designers N.267.
- InspiredMag: My article Front-end Login in WordPress got featured in This week in web design – UX design, user psychology and much more.
- CodePen: Love CodePen.io which is where I experiment with frontend stuff.
- WebDesignerNews: One of my article What Every Beginner Is Doing Wrong as a Web Developer was featured at WebDesginerNews which later went viral in the design community.
I love The WordPress Community#
- My Commitment to WordPress and Epic Moments of 2015
- 2016 Year in Review: WordPress, Business, & the Big NEWS!
- I told my story → This Part of My Life Is Called … WordPress
- WordPress Core Contributor: I am a regular WP core contributing dev for about last ten major WordPress versions, you can read about my contributions in WordPress 4.4 Clifford, WordPress 4.5 Coleman, WordPress 4.6 Pepper, WordPress 4.7 — The Spirit of Regular Core Contribution, WordPress 4.8, WordPress 4.9, etc.
- Contributions: I have also contributed to Twenty Sixteen theme, WP REST API, Chasis, WooCommerce, Easy Digital Downloads, and several other WP products.
- WPMetaList designed & developed WPMetaList read about it here.
- Core Author at Envato Tuts+ (since 2011). I have written more than 150 in-depth both beginner friendly and advanced WordPress tutorials at Tuts+.
- WordPress.org: My 9 plugins on WordPress.org have a total of 464,454 downloads.
- WPGulp: More than 1442 developers are using my advanced WordPress Gulp workflow.
- _child: built a lean and mean WordPress Child Theme Boilerplate.
- WordPress Customizer Package for Sublime Text: Built a Sublime Text snippets/completion package for WordPress Customizer. First of its kind. Featured on the homepage of PackageControl as the 8th most trending package within first three days of launch. Sarah featured the package at WPTavern: Ahmad Awais Releases WordPress Customizer Package for Sublime Text. Stats: .
- ManageWP.com; Plugin of the Month: WPMashSocial got featured at #3 in Top 10 Plugins of the Month.
- Contributions at TorqueMage by WPEngine, WPLift (2 posts)| WPBeginner (1 post)| TemplateMonster (1 post).
- FinkTanks: I teach WordPress Beginners to Advance Course (500+ Students & 10+ Workshops).
- WP-Pakistan.com: Built WPPakistan non-profit community initiative. Five meetups, 50+ workshops, and a WordPress Week with 700+ participants. Conducted Global WordPress Translation and Contributors days.
- WordPress Week Lahore: Under the head of WP-Pakistan initiative ran an entire week about WordPress in one of the known universities University of Engineering & Technology Lahore, Pakistan from April 28th, 2014 to May 3rd, 2014. Read about it here.
- WordPress Business Group Started a business focused WordPress group at Facebook, and it got featured at WPTavern.
- Plugin CF7 Customizer to solve a problem and got featured in some places like ProductHunt, TF Showcase, t3n, etc.
- Theme ProductPress an EDD WordPress Theme, which ranks in top 10 eCommerce theme at CreativeMarket (Made it to #2 once).