Google has just welcomed me in the Google Developers Experts Program after recognizing my open source work as a web technology expert....
AHMAD AWAIS USES
A list of software, companies, products, and services used by Ahmad Awais — as a web dev advocate and an open sourcerer. 👌Ahmad Awais
Hello, there. It’s Ahmad Awais — I love teaching, developing, talking, and automating things. I’ve seen many developers keep a
/uses page to share what they use. Nowadays, it’s almost customary and expected of you to have this page.
I use a lot of software and hardware products. Many times people ask me about that. That’s why I have started collecting a list of items here on this page so that I can redirect everyone to one single link and still follow DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself) philosophy.
Want more details than just what I use? Read my year in reviews!
- 2017 Year in Review: Open Source, TheDevCouple & What’s Next!
- 2016 Year in Review: WordPress, Business, & Getting Married
- 2015: My Commitment to WordPress & Epic Moments
I love teaching. I can’t help it. It’s genetic. Both my grandparents and even my parents are teachers. So, believe you me you’ll enjoy what I create.
- VSCode.pro — Take a look at my VSCode Power User course. Turn yourself into a power developer and save time. Learn VSCode →
📟 Editor & Theme & Font#
- Visual Studio Code is my go-to code editor (new found love, I switched in Jan 2017) — I’m also creating a course on it called VSCode.pro. Sign up for my course and you’ll learn lots of tips and tricks, and I promise to turn you into VSCode Power Users →
- I am quite particular about what my code/work environment looks like. So, much so that I created my own code syntax highlighting theme for VSCode, the theme is called Shades of Purple:
— 💜 I love purple, — purple can be genius
— 👉 Put 🦄
Shades of Purplein other places→
- Sublime Text (used it for over a decade) — but VSCode won my heart
- I’m currently using Operator Mono as my code font. Yes, like many others you pay $200 for it. See, you spend most of your life looking at the code (as a developer). It’s only fair that your code looks good
— Before, I used Inconsolata, and Source Code Pro for many years
— If you don’t want to spend money on the code font, there are some fantastic Operator Mono alternatives available for free. I have tried both of these: IBM Plex & Fira Code
💻 Terminal Setup#
- I also use Zsh shell instead of Bash and am a core contributor to the ever-awesome Oh My Zsh configuration — which is also my thing.
- Again, I wrote custom themes for my terminal apps:
— 🦄 Shades-of-Purple-iTerm2
— 🦄 Shades-of-Purple-Zsh-Theme
— 🦄 Shades-of-Purple-Hyper-Terminal (on Hyper.is)
- Best workflow improvement I get is from Text Expander. I use it for canned responses and for most of my code snippets. Incredible piece of software.
- I also love Alfred a big fan and use many workflows in it.
- I design with Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Primmer, and Auditions) and Sketch.
- I backup with multiple portable hard disks by 2TB WD and 2TB Transcend, online backup with Dropbox for most files, and have been trying out BackBlaze for my entire hard drive.
- I love emoji 🔥 and use this cool little app called Rocket Pro for that.
- I use ScreenFlow to record and edit my screencasts on Mac.
- My camera is Nikon D5300 with Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC, and a Slik s304 tripo-pro professional tripod.
- My mic is Rode Podcaster on a Rode PSA1 Boom Arm with Rode PSM1 Shockmount and Rode WS2 pop shield.
- I also have a portable mic called Blue SnowFlake here’s a picture of it and a silly custom boom arm with it.
- I badly need a better webcam, strike that, I just bought a Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 — super impressed with it.
🖥 Desk Hardware#
- I’ve spent a decade with Windows and a decade with Mac.
- Right now, I have two MacBook Pro‘s (15.6 with 16 GB RAM, 512 GB Hard + 2 TB Backup, Core i7, 2 GB graphics and about the same specs in a 13-inch version. PIC1, PIC2
- Fan of HP Pavilion 27xi Flat UHD display monitors. Thinking of a 5k upgrade soon.
- A home theater convertible-to-bar speakers with an 8 inch Bass drum and 70W subwoofer by F&D T200-X 2.1 here’s a good review video.
- Big fan of SteelSeries Serbia headphones I have multiple headsets from this company but I like Siberia V3 here’s the pic, another one, and this one.
- I sit on a beast cobra #Ergonomic office chair. The back of this chair adjusts itself with your back! That’s comfortable!
- Right now I use Samsung Note 4, yes, I like Android over iOS.
- Bought these custom 0.67x macro lens for it with a custom mobile stand.
I use HelloSign to get my contracts signed and I love everything about it. Try out the free version if you are skeptical about it.
🖼️ Digital Asset Management#
Images and videos handling, CDN, conversion, optimization, and what not. All of that is done for me by Cloudinary. Honestly, I can’t recommend it enough. Signup now and get 10Gb space and 20Gb bandwidth for free →
I really like how easy it is to use Invoicely. I recommend it to everyone, they even have a nice free version.
📸 Screenshots & Gifs#
I admire the screenshot, GIF, and small video hosting by My CloudApp — I use it daily.
Not a fitness pro or anything but I love Nike Flex series. They fit in nicely.
🎒 Social Media Management#
Big fan of the folks behind ContentStudio — I have started to replace Buffer with this one. Totally worth it.
📨 Emails & Newsletters
For sending emails and newsletters I use a combination of Sendy (my favorite email tool), MailChimp, and Intercom.
Inside WordPress, I use a plugin backed by the awesome folks from Delicious Brains called WP Offload SES. It offloads all your WordPress emails to Amazon SES making your emails more secure, marked as important, and dirt cheap. What more could you want? Analytics? Yes, got that too. Amazing, eh!
is important. English is not my mother tongue but Grammarly helps me write better. I can’t stress enough how important it is if you blog a lot. I am a premium subscriber.
⏰ Time Management#
Well, time management has never come easy to me. I use the awesome RescueTime app both on desktop and mobile to help rescue my time.
🗂 Chrome Tab Management
I used to struggle a lot with Google Chrome Tabs management, where I’d open lots and lots of tabs and it would be so hard to lose all the important ones. Now, after using so many tools/extensions I’ve settled with Toby Mini where I save entire sessions of tabs and come back to them whenever I want. A true lifesaver I must add.
🐾 Cleaning My Mac#
I use CleanMyMac X to do what the name says. Well, this software is a real deal and from time to time it helps me delete 10Gb – 20Gb worth of junk files. I’ve been using it for years, and I trust the MacPaw 🐾 team.
💠 SetApp | Set for all apps#
Seriously this is the best Mac app that you can buy. It’s like a SaaS subscription where you pay about $8.99/month and get most up to dated 100+ premium Mac apps. I have like 20 of those installed atm. This again is built by the MacPaw 🐾 team. Which is amazing.
🏪 Domain Names#
I love to buy domain names. There was a time when I had over 1000 domains to my portfolio and I used to sell and resell those. If you’re just getting started, use Dynadot to buy domains (you get $5 with my link)‚ they always have the best pricing.
I have always loved and appreciated good design. There are many good designers in the web community but some of them are really good. They totally stand out of the crowd. I use the designs from the following designers, who have beyond impressive design portfolio. I bet you’ll need a thing or two in there — these designers/designs are my personal goto design shops:
— LStore Graphics: Ruslan designs amazing hero images 👍
— CraftWork Design: UI Kits from Denis have no parallel 👏
— Icons8: For all the icons needs of my open source projects 💯
📺 Do you even TV brah?!#
You bet I do. Nowadays, I mostly use a 55 inch C1 QUHD 4K Smart TV by TCL TV with Google Chromecast – 2nd Generation to watch TV seasons.
- I have watched over 100 TV shows and 5,000+ episodes in the last couple of years. Without TV, my brain is like dead meat. I’ve relatively recently started tracking my TV watching activities at this nice site called Watched.li take a look →
- To receive email updates about when a new episode’s up I use the gold ol’ TV.com. I have labeled it’s emails as
TVand archived (to not receive in my inbox) in the Gmail with a filter.
- I also use Next-Episode to track exactly what the name suggests
🍴 ForkLift + Transmit — Best FTP Editors & More#
I have toyed around with many FTP editors on Mac. But the combination of ForkLift + Transmit is unbeatable. Both are different, both have many pros. I recommend these two and use them whenever I need to access my private data dump — or a server with SSH — yes these FTP editors work with SSH SFTP secure access very well.
😎 CSS Scan for Quick Prototyping
Whenever doing a workshop, I have to sometimes quickly prototype a web example to explain a concept to the audience. Often I find myself copying the CSS from dev tools. Well, no more. CSS Scan takes care of that for me. Saves me a lot of time.
If you have a question about anything mentioned on this page:
→ Tweet at @MrAhmadAwais.