Just updated to macOS Mojave only to find out that there is a terrible font rendering issue for almost all the ElectronJS based apps...
AHMAD AWAIS USES
A list of software, companies, products, and services used by Ahmad Awais — as a full-stack web dev and an open sourcerer. 👌Ahmad Awais
I use a lot of software and hardware products. Many times people ask me about that. That’s why I have started collecting a list of items here on this page so that I can redirect everyone to one single link and still follow DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself) philosophy.
📟 Editor & Theme & Font
- Visual Studio Code is my go-to code editor (new found love, I switched in Jan 2017) — I’m also creating a course on it called VSCode.pro. I use CloudSync extension to backup my settings, extensions, snippets, etc.
- I created a set of themes for different software starting with VSCode, the theme is called Shades of Purple 💜🦄 I love purple, — purple can be genius. Put
Shades of Purplein other places→.
- Sublime Text (saying goodbye soon, used it for over a decade) — here’s a dump of my settings and snippets, etc for sublime.
- I’m currently using Operator Mono as the code font. Yes, like many others you pay $200 for it. You spend most of your life looking at the code you write as a developer. It’s only fair that your code looks good. Before this, I used Inconsolata, and Source Code Pro for many years.
- My primary terminal app is iTerm2 with a custom theme I wrote called Cobalt3 for iTerm2
- I also enjoy using HyperTerm with the same custom theme port called Cobalt3 for HyperTerm
- Best workflow improvement I get is from Text Expander. I use it for canned responses and for most of my code snippets. Incredible piece of software.
- I also love Alfred a big fan and use many workflows in it.
- I design with Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Primmer, and Auditions) and Sketch.
- I backup with multiple local HDDs by WD, online backup with Dropbox for most files, and have been trying out BackBlaze for my entire hard drive.
- I love emoji 🔥 and use this cool little app called Rocket Pro for that.
- I use ScreenFlow to record and edit my screencasts on Mac.
- My camera is Nikon D5300 with Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC, and a Slik s304 tripo-pro professional tripod.
- My mic is Rode Podcaster on a Rode PSA1 Boom Arm with Rode PSM1 Shockmount and Rode WS2 pop shield.
- I also have a portable mic called Blue SnowFlake here’s a picture of it and a silly custom boom arm with it.
- I badly need a better webcam, strike that, I just bought a Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 — super impressed with it.
🖥 Desk Hardware
- I’ve spent a decade with Windows and a decade with Mac.
- Right now, I have two MacBook Pro‘s (15.6 with 16 GB RAM, 512 GB Hard + 2 TB Backup, Core i7, 2 GB graphics and about the same specs in a 13-inch version. PIC1, PIC2
- Fan of HP Pavilion 27xi Flat UHD display monitors. Thinking of a 5k upgrade soon.
- A 55 inch C1 QUHD 4K Smart TV by TCL that I use with Google Chromecast – 2nd Generation
- A home theater convertible-to-bar speakers with an 8 inch Bass drum and 70W subwoofer by F&D T200-X 2.1 here’s a good review video.
- Big fan of SteelSeries Serbia headphones I have multiple headsets from this company but I like Siberia V3 here’s the pic, another one, and this one.
- I sit on a beast cobra #Ergonomic office chair. The back of this chair adjusts itself with your back! That’s comfortable!
- Right now I use Samsung Note 4, yes, I like Android over iOS.
- Bought these custom 0.67x macro lens for it with a custom mobile stand.
I use HelloSign to get my contracts signed and I love everything about it. Try out the free version if you are skeptical about it.
I really like how easy it is to use Invoicely. I recommend it to everyone, they even have a nice free version.
📸 Screenshots & Gifs
I admire the screenshot, GIF, and small video hosting by My CloudApp — I use it daily.
Not a fitness pro or anything but I love Nike Flex series. They fit in nicely.
🎒 Social Media Management
Big fan of the folks behind ContentStudio — I have started to replace Buffer with this one. Totally worth it.
📨 Emails & Newsletters
For sending emails and newsletters I use a combination of Sendy (my favorite email tool), MailChimp, and Intercom.
is important. English is not my mother tongue but Grammarly helps me write better. I can’t stress enough how important it is if you blog a lot. I am a premium subscriber.
🗂 Chrome Tab Management
I used to struggle a lot with Google Chrome Tabs management, where I’d open lots and lots of tabs and it would be so hard to lose all the important ones. Now, after using so many tools/extensions I’ve settled with Toby Mini where I save entire sessions of tabs and come back to them whenever I want. A true lifesaver I must add.
🐾 Cleaning My Mac
I use CleanMyMac X to do what the name says. Yes, I know what you’re thinking. Who uses those spam software?! Well, this one’s a real deal and from time to time it helps me delete 10Gb – 20Gb worth of junk. I’ve been using it for years, and I trust the MacPaw 🐾 team.
🏪 Domain Names
I love to buy domain names. There was a time when I had over 1000 domains to my portfolio and I used to sell and resell those. If you’re just getting started, use Dynadot to buy domains (you get $5 with my link)‚ they always have the best pricing.
If you have a question about anything mentioned on this page:
→ Tweet at @MrAhmadAwais.