It’s a sad day for the WordPress community. I write this with a heavy heart, that Jesse Petersen — a Genesis Preferred Developer, theme and plugin developer, and so much more — lost his fight with Cystic Fibrosis today.
The LOSS of a Great WordPress Community Member — Jesse Petersen!Ahmad Awais
He was a WordPress user since 2005, a developer since 2008 and a friend to many.
Can you look over your life and say you’d be leaving those connected to you better off having known you? If not, start today.
— Jesse Ⓦ Petersen (@jpetersen) July 3, 2017
I’m pretty sure; I was better off knowing him! Many would agree!
I had built this plugin to say #Hi to the WP Crowd members, and Jesse was one of us. This is what I saw when I came to write this post in the WordPress admin panel. You’ll be missed! :(
I didn’t personally, know Jesse — but he was a great member of our community. I am not sure what to say. I got to know him better only after he went public with his Cystic Fibrosis genetic disease. I feel like telling you all about him in a few points below.
It’s my way to remember him! Jesse:
- He was a family man — a husband and a father to two adorable boys
- Most known for being a Genesis Preferred Developer
- A WordPress user since 2005, a developer since 2008 and a friend to many
- A plugin developer. His latest plugin was GenesisThe.me After Entry Widget Pro that added a widget after a post.
- He also has five plugins in the WordPress repository including Genesis Latest Tweets and Stealth Login Page. His last commit was only five days ago. :(
- A proud WordCamp Speaker, you can find him talking at WordPress.tv
- A member of The WP Crowd and was on many of our podcasts.
- He was also a Treehouse instructor
- More about him at this WCUS blog post
- Jeff wrote about Jesse on WPTavern
What Can We Do?
I wish if the WordPress foundation — or a non-profit fund could be set up for folks like him. The awesome WordPress community could be more awesome that way!
Support His Family
Jesse leaves behind a wife and two precious boys who will be going through a lot in the upcoming days. They also could use all the help they can get for last expenses and going forward. Ben Meredith has setup a Give fundraiser to help with the last expenses and for the family going forward.
It’s the least we can do, for all his contribution towards our lives and the WordPress community!